I’m a Midwestern illustrator, author, and product designer.
Things I love: cats, travel, biking (the old-school kind where you actually go outside), and community gardens.
I always knew I wanted to be an artist, so when I attended the University of Illinois in 1992, I got my degree in one of the three art majors they offered—graphic design. The only other options were photography and painting. I am not a photographer and according to my dad, artists (painters) don’t make any money, so graphic design it was. Let’s just say I wasn't immune to my dad’s lack of enthusiasm.
I quickly learned
that kerning (adjusting space between letters) on the back of John Deere oil lube spray cans was not my thing. After a few more advertising agency stints and designing catalogs for farm equipment, I took the plunge and went 100% freelance at 27 years old. No more 9-5 jobs.
I mixed in mural painting
with my freelance graphic design, and eventually went all-out and started designing my own home décor product line in 2000. I teamed up with a fine art publisher and agent, Art In Motion, and began designing countless product lines for retailers across the globe.
Story on style - truth bomb!
I am not like other artists. I have not one, not two, but many styles up my sleeve. Most artists work very hard at developing their own signature style. In all honesty, I have tried my darndest to achieve the same! But I’ve been illustrating since I was in the single digits, and over the years my illustration style has changed dramatically. While that used to bother me, I have since come to embrace the fact that I thrive at pushing myself to try new mediums and methods.
Tauck Luxury Travel
Writer and illustrator Angela Staehling found her artistic inspiration with us this past April aboard Heart of the Danube: Bavaria to Budapest
FOX2 Now – St. Louis TV
Local author gives tutorial on how to properly pet a cat. Author Angela Staehling explains the do’s and dont’s of petting cats. Watch here.
NPR – St. Louis Public Radio
St. Louis author shares tips on ‘How to Pet a Cat’ — with Sarah Fenske of St. Louis Public Radio. Listen here.
NPR – East End to Westchester
Angela Staehling talks about her inspiration for writing and illustrating the charming yet practical guide How to Pet a Cat on Dog Talk®(and Kitties Too!). Listen here.
A look back
Over 20 years of painting + design
- Freelance graphic design and mural painting
- Had baby Cole
- Moved to Missouri
- Exhibited at the Atlant Gift Show selling handpainted home decor + gifts
- Signed on with fine art Publisher, Art In Motion
- Had baby Mia
- Launched extensive product line with Art In Motion
- Sold products in major retailers around the world
- Had baby Ella
- Moved to Minnesota
- Art featured on HGTV + Paula's Home Cooking Show
- Created limited editions for Mario Andretti Winery in Napa Valley
- Sold original paintings in art galleries in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California and Lahaina, Hawaii
- Sold our house to travel Europe for one year
- Painted remotely for Art In Motion
- Launched a line of wall decor with Target
- Started licensing my own artwork
- Began a collaboration designing exclusive products for HomeGoods, T.J.Maxx, Marshall's
- Wrote and illustrated the book HAPPY HOUSEPLANTS
- Developed National Parks product line for retailers
- HAPPY HOUSEPLANTS book sold in Nordstrom, Barnes & Noble, New York Botanical Garden
- Reached the milestone of traveling to over 50 countries
- Wrote and illustrated the book HOW TO PET A CAT